Baxter Auto Parts had its beginning in 1936 in Chehalis, Washington. Ray S. Baxter and his new bride Wilma, both 24 years old, opened their business in a building fifteen by thirty feet in size. They paid only fifteen dollars a month rent. The opening of this small business would lead the Baxter family into being one of the leading auto parts and hi-performance suppliers in the Northwest.
Their first store in Portland was opened in 1944. The building had previously been occupied by a market, thus there were folding doors in the front. One-half of this building was a machine shop which helped keep vehicles on the road for the war effort.
The year 1949 brought a second Baxter store in the growing St. Johns area of N. Portland. In 1963 a third Baxter Auto Parts store was opened in Parkrose. The Parkrose area is located Northeast of Portland and proved to be a rapid growing area. In 1968 the Parkrose store was replaced with a new larger building.
In 1985, store number four was opened in the Oak Grove area of S.E. Portland. The four locations in different parts of the city made Baxter a prevalent name in the auto parts business.
Since then we have been rapidly expanding to our current size of 35 retail stores and 4 warehouses stretching serving the Pacific Northwest and Northern California.
We are definitely a retail chain rich with history. Being able to serve our customers better with more locations makes us excited about our continuous growth. Baxter Auto Parts does its best to have friendly educated staff available and the broadest selection of auto parts and accessories in stock. We hope you'll come see us soon!